We are U.S. citizens, and wish to enter Canada simply to see Niagara Falls from the Canadian side. Do we need passport books, or will passport cards be sufficient for this purpose? There is a substantial difference in the cost of these two documents, and we have no plans to do any other international travel.

Yes you may use/purchase passport cards for all land travel.  They can be used/purchased instead of the full passport.