Three major hydroelectric generating stations were constructed on the Canadian side of the border around the Canadian Horseshoe Falls at Niagara Falls in the early twentieth century. Two of these plants were originally American owned and the other plant known as the Electric Development Company was owned by prominent Toronto businessmen. It came to be known as the Toronto Powerhouse. This plant was purchased by Ontario Power Generation in 1922.It closed in 1974 and remains closed.
The other plants, The Canadian Niagara Power Generating Station (pictured here) just above the falls and across from the Floral Showhouse was built in 1892 and retired in 1999-2000.
The third plant located below the falls called Ontario Power or OP was built in 1905.
All three plants, now owned by The Niagara Parks Commission, still sit empty waiting for someone or company to suggest an alternate use for these time capsules.