It was in 1889 that the newly formed the Queen Victoria Park Commission (later re-named The Niagara Parks Commission) under took the construction of the first tunnels behind the falls to create the Sheet of Falling water attraction. Prior to that there was a stairway to the base of the falls as early as the mid-1800's. In 1944 a new 18 metre concrete- lined tunnel was built behind the original passageway. It is still used today. Over the years this attraction has had several renovations and additions as well as name changes. An outdoor observation plaza was built in 1951 at the base of the Canadian Horseshoe Falls.
Prior to its current name of Journey Behind the Falls it was called for many years the Table Rock Scenic Tunnels.
This seasoned attraction remains one of the most popular with an average of 700,000 people per year visiting the attraction.
To learn more about the history of the tunnels pick up from the local library a copy of the Niagara Parks Commissions book, Ontario's Niagara Parks-100 Years by George Seibel, published in 1985.