Participants from across North America and beyond have registered to participate in the fifth Niagara Falls Barrelman Triathlon, to be held on Sunday, September 16. Developed by MultiSport Canada, the Barrelman Triathlon is composed of a 2 km swim, a 90 km bike ride and a 21.1 km run, which will culminate at Kingsbridge Park.
To help facilitate the race, Niagara Parks wishes to notify residents and businesses of the following road closures scheduled along sections of the Niagara Parkway and Upper Rapids Boulevard:
From 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Sunday, September 16, there will be a full road closure of the Niagara Parkway from Upper Rapids Boulevard south to the Portage Road intersection at Macklem Street. This closure will also encompass Dufferin Islands, Burning Springs Hill Road and will include a single southbound lane closure of the Niagara Parkway from Murray Street to Upper Rapids Boulevard.
During the race:
- Participants will be cycling northbound along the Niagara Parkway (abiding by rules of the road) from Switch Road to Kingsbridge Park;
- Dufferin Islands, including access via Burning Springs Hill Road, will be closed to all vehicular traffic;
- Residents on Rapidsview Drive in Chippawa, which intersects with the Niagara Parkway, will be provided access during the closure with the assistance of the Niagara Parks Police;
- Niagara Parks’ Table Rock Welcome Centre, Floral Showhouse, Falls Parking Lot and Fraser Hill Parking Lot will all remain open and accessible;
- All lanes are expected to reopen at approximately 6 p.m. as the last participants complete the course and reach the finish line located at Kingsbridge Park;
- Additional lane closures within the City of Niagara Falls will be in effect for this event and may cause delays. For details, please visit niagarafalls.ca;