Niagara Parks to Host Annual Niagara Falls International Marathon
Notice of Upcoming Road Closures Along the Niagara Parkway
Niagara Falls, ON – The Niagara Parks Commission will once again host the annual Niagara Falls International Marathon on Sunday, October 15. Over 3,600 participants are scheduled to compete in the bi-national marathon, which was voted one of the most scenic marathons in Canada. The Niagara Parkway will serve as a key route for participants, including hosting the finish line at the brink of the Canadian Horseshoe Falls, where spectators, friends and families can come out to support the runners.
As part of the event, Niagara Parks would like to inform the public of the following road closures and restrictions that will be in effect on that day:
- The Niagara Parkway will be closed from Old Fort Erie to Upper Rapids Boulevard, beginning at 5 a.m., and will be re-opened as the last participant runs past each adjoining intersection. Access to residences and attractions along this section of the south Niagara Parkway will be made available from the closest access points. Vehicles will be assisted by Niagara Parks Police and Race Marshalls.
- The northbound lanes of the Niagara Parkway from Upper Rapids Boulevard to Murray Street will be closed from 5 a.m. to approximately 6 p.m., with the southbound lanes of the Niagara Parkway between Murray Street and Upper Rapids Boulevard remaining open to allow for southbound traffic only.
- The eastbound lanes of Upper Rapids Boulevard will be closed from 5 a.m., to approximately 6 p.m., with the westbound lanes of Upper Rapids Boulevard remaining open to allow traffic from the Niagara Parkway to access Portage Road.
- Vehicular access to Dufferin Islands will be closed for the day. The public washrooms at Dufferin Islands will also be closed for the day.
- Access to Niagara Parks’ Falls Parking Lot (Lot A) and the Floral Showhouse Parking Lot (Lot B) will remain open during the day. Rapidsview Parking Lot (Lot C) will be closed for the day to service the event.
- WEGO bus service will not be impacted. All buses will be permitted (with police assistance) to enter the Table Rock WEGO Bus Loop for visitor drop off and pick up.
- All tour operators will be permitted (with police assistance) to turn in the WEGO Bus Loop and drop off/pick up on the west side of the Table Rock Complex during the road closure. All buses will then be required to proceed north to Murray Street.
About Niagara Parks
The Niagara Parks Commission is committed to a vision of Ontario's Niagara Parks as one that Preserves a rich heritage, Conserves natural wonders, and Inspires people world-wide. Founded in 1885, The Niagara Parks Commission is an Operational Enterprise Agency of the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport. Its mission is to protect the natural and cultural heritage along the Niagara River for the enjoyment of visitors while maintaining financial self-sufficiency
For more information, please visit www.niagarafallsmarathon.com or contact:
Tony Baldinelli, Senior Manager, Communications and Stakeholder Relations
[email protected] or (905) 356-2241 ext. 2206