One hundred years ago on August 6, 1918, a steel copper bottomed sand scow (barge), with two deck hands aboard became grounded on a rock sandbar approximately in the Niagara River about 600 metres (a half-mile) upriver from the Canadian Horseshoe Falls. It’s still here after all these years.
Here’s the short version of the story.
The scow, with two deck hands aboard, was being towed by a tug boat that was engaged in dredging operation several miles up river in the fast current on the American side of the Niagara River. A sand-sucker was being used to take sand from the bottom of the river and deposit it into the scow.
All of a sudden, the towline that held the scow to the tug snapped and the scow was sent adrift down the Niagara River towards the falls. On board were two men and approximately 2,000 tonnes of sand and rock.