Although we have plenty of ice right now in the lower Niagara River below the falls, it’s nothing like the ice-bridge we had 80 years ago. During the winter of 1938, the ice was so thick that on January 26th at 4:20 in the afternoon the ice pushed the all steel Suspension Bridge (also known as the Fallsview or Honeymoon Bridge) off its abutments and it crashed onto the ice below. Authority’s suspected it would collapse and the bridge was closed, resulting in no loss of life.
This destroyed bridge rested on the ice bridge for months and it became a tourist attraction. People travelled from miles away and made their way down Clifton Hill to Queen Victoria Park to see the destruction. When the sun came out, the Ice - Bridge melted and the steel bridge sunk into the river below.
Within a few months, plans began on a new bridge to be called the Rainbow Bridge. This bridge was built further downriver from the old bridge. The abutments were built higher up on the river bank to prevent a similar disaster. The Rainbow Bridge opened in 1941 is still here today.