A Deckhand has an important role at Hornblower Niagara Cruises. They are responsible for the mooring lines during vessel maneuvers and alongside the dock. They work on land (dock) and the water (vessel). They have the important task of ensuring that guests load and unload the vessel in a safe, timely and orderly fashion. As customer service experts, deckhands interact with guests as they are boarding the vessel, and answer any questions or concerns they may have. The Deckhand is a front line position that contributes to creating amazing experiences for our guests that will last them a lifetime!
Who is Hornblower Niagara Cruises?
Hornblower Niagara Cruises opened in 2014. We operate a boat tour that provides our guests with an up close and personal experience with the mighty Niagara Falls. Our tours include the famous Voyage to the Falls, Illumination Cruise and our Fireworks Cruise. We are one of the main tourist destinations in the Niagara Falls, seeing people from all over the world.
What will you do?
- prepare vessel(s) and docks for daily operations
- accountable for mooring lines during vessel maneuvers and alongside the dock
- watch for safety and security of passengers and crew
- perform safety functions on the muster list and otherwise assigned
- maintain clean passenger spaces including restrooms, trash, common areas, wheelhouse and gangways
- answer questions in regards to Niagara Falls and Niagara Attractions
- assist with medical and security issues
- assist with gangway(s) and disembarking passengers when loading and unloading
We are looking for someone who has:
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma preferred
- MED A2L – Small Seasonal Passenger Vessel Safety (training provided)
- one (1) year of shipboard experience preferred
- customer service experience
- knowledge of a foreign language is considered an asset
- familiarization with anchoring, emergency gear, deck gear, and vessel emergency plans (an asset)
- Fall Arrest Training (an asset)
- Confined Space Training (an asset)
- First Aid and CPR (an asset)
- Pleasure Craft Operator Card (an asset)
- SVOP (an asset)
- SVMO (an asset)
Hornblower Niagara Cruises is an equal opportunity employer and we will accommodate your needs under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Hiring processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities, if requested. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application or interview processes, please contact the HR Operations Manager at 905-394-3118 for assistance.
For further details on the postion, including how to apply, please visit the website above.