Our Mate, under direct supervision of the Captain, operates Transport Canada inspected passenger vessels in the Niagara Gorge in a manner that ensures the safety and security of the crew and passengers, enjoyment of the passengers, and respect for the environment. During the shoulder season and outside of operating season, the Mate may assist with maintenance and repair projects to vessels and facilities, and other special projects as directed. A flexible schedule is a must. Schedule includes evenings, weekends and holidays.
Applicants must possess Transport Canada Certifications and be eligible to work in Canada.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- as the Mate of the vessel, operates the vessel with due regard for the Hornblower Niagara Cruises (HNC) Safety Management System (SMS) and ISO Respect Management System, the Vessel Security Plan, proper Standards of Watch keeping and in accordance with the practice of good seamanship
- directly supervises Deckhands and other crew members
- coaches and teaches crew members to assist in their professional development
- routinely inspects all areas of the vessel for unsafe conditions, assists in accident investigations and reports, and makes safety announcements to ensure the safety and comfort of the crew and passengers
- participates in emergency drills in accordance with Transport Canada regulations, the Safety Management System, and Vessel Security Plan
- maintains vessel operations and maintenance logs, paying particular attention to proper recording of incidents and irregularities. Additionally maintains personnel reports in cooperation with Captain
- fulfils the role of SVMO with all additional knowledge and responsibilities
- ensures a clean workplace (i.e. restrooms, garbage, common areas, wheelhouse, gangways)
- assists with daily training talks
- shall not operate the vessel if any critical systems as laid out in the Safety Management System are not functioning or if in the Captains professional evaluation conditions are unsafe for operation
- support Facilities, Guest Experience, and all other departments as required
IDEAL CANDIDATE HAS:
- Mate 150 Gross Tonnage, Domestic
- Small Vessel Machinery Operator (Training provided)
- current Marine Advanced First Aid
- current (within previous two (2) years) Transport Canada approved medical
- minimum one (1) year of shipboard experience required
- customer service experience an asset
- knowledge of a foreign language is helpful
- Ships Security Officer Certificate an asset
- SVOP or Limited Master Certificate an asset
- the ability to successfully complete a criminal background check
Hornblower Niagara Cruises is an equal opportunity employer and we will accommodate your needs under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Hiring processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities, if requested. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application or interview processes, please contact the Human Resources Manager at 905-394-3118 for assistance.
For further details on the postion, including how to apply, please visit the website above.