Indigenous Niagara Living Museum Tours, the Niagara Region’s first guided Indigenous tour operation, will premiere September 2021 in Niagara Falls. Featuring animated encounters and engagements with Indigenous peoples, cultural interpreters, historians, food specialists, and artisans, the tours will create meaningful and memorable experiences that last a lifetime.
The deep and compelling Indigenous history and culture of the Niagara Region serves as the foundation for authentic tours of important Indigenous destinations known for their historical and cultural significance to Indigenous peoples, including Niagara Falls itself!
These tours will help to build an enlightened and inspired understanding of Indigenous peoples who have lived in the Niagara Region over the course of some 13,000 years. This unique guided tour program will be of interest to North American and international travellers, educational field trips, and group tours for lifelong learners of all ages.
In addition to the beautiful vista that is Niagara Falls itself, with its stories of powerful forces and influences upon Haudenosaunee and Anishinaabek identities, Indigenous Niagara Living Museum Tours also explore the geology of the Niagara Escarpment to reveal these highlights:
• Archaeological sites that provide insight into the earliest Indigenous communities in Niagara
• Niagara Gorge timeline chronicling Indigenous inhabitation of the area
• UNESCO Niagara Escarpment Biosphere locations that resonate with Indigenous flora and fauna
• Historic locations associated with the War of 1812
• Indigenous contributions that both defended and shaped the development of Canada
• Spectacular public artworks that memorialize, convey, and commemorate Indigenous culture and history
• Indigenous foods and culinary treats