The Whirlpool Golf Course is one of Canada’s most highly rated and renowned public golf courses. It is owned and operated by the Niagara Parks Commission and is located in a spectacular setting against the backdrop of the Niagara River Whirlpool and Gorge. The course was designed by the famous golf course architect Stanley Thompson, a.k.a. “The Toronto Terror.” Other highly acclaimed course designs by Stanley Thompson include Banff Springs (Banff, AB), Capilano (Vancouver, BC), St. Georges (Toronto, ON), and The Highland Links (Cape Breton, NS), along with countless over classic designs across North America. The course officially opened on July 2, 1951, with an international tournament between four well-known professionals. Ten thousand spectators witnessed the defeat of the Canadians, Stan Leonard and Bob Gray by the American players, Dr. Cary Middlecoff and Jimmy Demaret.
During the first year of operation, the course saw play by some eighteen thousand, two hundred and fifty-one persons and by mid-1980 the course had seen its one-millionth player. In 1996, the Commission engaged the services R. F. Moote & Associates to prepare a Master Plan for the golf course. What followed was the renovation of sand traps in 1997 and the addition of forward tees along with a new putting green and practice area in 1998. The Master Plan also provided for extensive clubhouse renovations and landscaping additions during the same time frame.