September 18, 2015
Clifton Hill in the 1920's
In the 1920’s there was a very different Clifton Hill than we know today.
In the 20’s paved roads to Niagara Falls began to appear and more tourists driving cars headed to Niagara Falls to go camping. This was something new to do in the 1920’s. To take advantage of this trend Charles Burland established the first camp ground on the hill. He was a real entrepreneur. Because indoor plumbing was scarce Mr. Burland drove his patrons to the indoor washroom facilities at the foot of Clifton Hill, just inside Queen Victoria Park.
Earl McIntosh was the next to establish his Clifton Camp and Clifton Touring Camp on what is known today as, “The Street of Fun”.
Descendants of both these families still operate businesses on the hill.
Attached is a photograph taken looking up the hill.