The building that houses Niagara Falls Bird Kingdom (5651 River Road near the Rainbow Bridge) was built in 1907 as the home of The Spirella Corset Factory. It was one of the first poured concrete buildings in Canada. The factory closed in the mid-1950’s.
In 1958, the building became the new home of the Niagara Falls Museum. This museum was originally founded by Thomas Barnett in 1867 and contained thousands of stuffed animals and birds. In addition, there was a world re-nouned collection of Egyptian artifacts.
The building once more changed ownership when it was purchased in 2000 by Birds of the Lost Kingdom (now known as Bird Kingdom). An additional 5,000 square feet was added to the 45,000 square foot building and Bird Kingdom opened to the public in 2003.
Today, Bird Kingdom is the largest free-flying aviary in the world featuring over 350 tropical birds and exotic animals. This family friendly attraction is open year-round.