Many years ago, there was a high shelf of flat rock, just north of the present Table Rock area near the brink of the Canadian Horseshoe Falls. It resembled a tabletop. In 1818 a piece measuring 13 x 20 metres (40x60 feet) fell into the river and an even larger piece 100 x 20 metres (40 x 60 feet) fell in 1860 while a Hackman was washing his carriage on the rock!

Today, this area is Table Rock in name only. There exists no tabletop.

Look for the plaque along the sidewalk just north of the present Table Rock that indicate the original location of Table Rock.

Note, it is very unusual to see graffiti on any of the plaques or stonework in the park.

Post Comment

×