With temperatures reaching 30 Celsius, (86 Fahrenheit) this past week and more of the same expected over the next month thought I’d mention some places you can be “cool” in Niagara.
Here are a few spots along the Niagara River where you can escape the searing heat and humidity:
- The Journey Behind the Falls attraction at Table Rock will take you through cool tunnels at the base of the Canadian Horseshoe Falls as well as behind the Falls. The cool mist from the falls never felt so good.
- Take a trip aboard one of the Niagara City Cruise boats to the base of both falls. The mist from the falls hitting your face is something you won’t ever forget.
- Near the foot of Clifton Hill, you can take a breathtaking ride on the WildPlay MistRider Zipline. This breathaking zipline starts near the top of the Niagara Gorge and ends at the base of the Canadian Horseshoe Falls.
- Venture toward the top of Clifton Hill to the Niagara Sky Wheel. This giant ferris wheel stands 175 feet (53 metres) above the Niagara Falls horizon offering a superb view of the falls and surrounding area.
- Three kilometres north of the Falls is the White Water Walk attraction along the lower Niagara River. Deep in the gorge, you can explore a boardwalk that overlooks some of the wildest stretches of “Class 6” rapids.
- Take an easy hike through Dufferin Islands just off the Niagara River, half of a kilometre behind the Falls. Here you’ll walk under plenty of trees and discover a variety of birds.
- For those who like a more challenging hike consider taking the walkway at the Niagara Glen Nature Area to the lower Niagara River and Whirlpool.
- A ride on the Whirlpool Aero Car, which has been in operation since 1916, will bring you high above the churning Whirlpool Rapids, leaving you with memories that will last a lifetime.
- Take a refreshingly cool and wild ride aboard one of Niagara’s Whirlpool Jet Tour Boats. This popular ride from Niagara on the Lake takes you up the Niagara River to below thee Whirlpool Aero Car in the treacherous Niagara Whirlpool. Expect to get soaked so bring an extra set of clothes.