Here are a few photographs of the now abandoned Toronto Power Generating Station located beside the Niagara River. It is just opposite the Floral Showhouse (7145 Niagara Parkway) 400 metres (a quarter of a mile) south of the Canadian Horseshoe Falls.
The station opened in 1906 to supply Toronto with electricity. This palatial powerhouse built of limestone was designed by Toronto architect, E.J.Lennox to complement the scenic setting. Lennox was also the architect of Toronto’s majestic castle, Casa Loma.
The station ceased operating in 1974 and ownership went to The Niagara Parks Commission. Although several proposals for future use of this lovely building have been suggested it still sits empty.