Amazing black and white photograph of the first crossing of the Whirlpool Cable Car going over the Niagara Falls gorge. Now called the Whirlpool Aero Car you can see how it's evolved by going to the Whirlpool Areo Car profile! Photo taken August 8th, 1916, the opening day of the Whirlpool Aero Car.
The Aero Car was designed by a Spanish engineer, Leonardo Torres Quevedo and has been in operation since 1916. The cable car is suspended from six sturdy cables and offers a wonderful view of the Niagara Whirlpool which is formed at the end of the rapids where the gorge turns abruptly counterclockwise, and the river escapes through the narrowest channel in the gorge.
The aerial cable car travels safely between two different points of the Canadian shore of the Niagara River over the spectacular Whirlpool.
A round trip is about one kilometer (3,600 feet) and takes about 10 minutes to navigate, carrying its capacity of 35 standing passengers.
The Whirlpool Aero Car opened on August 8, 1916. Upgrades in design and function occurred in 1961, 1967 and 1984.