Here’s something you might find of interest. The Aluminum Company of America (ALCOA) had its beginning in Niagara Falls, New York. A number of electrochemical companies were located here in the late 1800’s just in time for the Pan-American Exposition in nearby Buffalo, N.Y.
ALCOA, once called the Pittsburgh Reduction Company, built a new plant in 1895 in Niagara Falls, N.Y. to produce aluminum. It was built in Niagara due to the abundance of clay and inexpensive electricity both located in Niagara. These ingredients are needed to produce Alumina (aluminum-ore). The influence of this move was to reduce the price of aluminum from $8.00 a pound to $2.00 a pound!
The original plant is long gone but we can be proud that Niagara had a big part in the early years of this major company. Attached is a photograph of The Pittsburgh Reduction Company and other electrochemical plants on the edge of the Niagara River downriver of the falls past the present-day Rainbow Bridge.
The original location of where these plants were found, is now the dry docks for the Maid of the Mist tour boats.