The big day is tomorrow for the Opening Ceremonies for the Ontario Power Generation Winter Festival of Lights. Here's a sneak peek of what's being installed. Here's my 'Coles Notes' version:
Opening Ceremonies Sat November 9th
When: 2 pm
- Performance by traditional Korean dance and drum troupes
- Musical entertainment from Brooklyn Roebuck to the Niagara Stars Singers
- Ice sculpture demonstrations, photo exhibits, train rides and free photos with Santa
- Commemorative ceremony for Niagara's Korean War Veterans with the Honorable Rob Nicholson, Minister of National Defense, and Mr. Kwangkyn Chung Consul-Gneral for the Conulate of the Repulic of Korea
- Performances by the Niagara Regional Pipe Band, Queenston Ladies Choir and the Niagara Memorial Militaries Alumni Drum Corps
- Food vendors
When: 3 pm - 6pm
- Mobile culinary theatre
- Unique Korean flair will take place as chefs Soung An, Jane Jhung and Sang Kim participate in cooking demonstrations. Samples will be available!
When: 3:30 - 6:00 pm
- Autographed session with YTV's Next Star, Brooklyn Roebuck
Official Flip the Switch
- 2 hour stage production
- O Holy Night, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bell Rock and more
- Performances by: Niagara Institue and Dingman-Nagy School of Ballet Arts
Fireworks over the Falls
- Niagara Symphony Orchestra conducted by Bradely Thachuck choreographed live to a 15 minute firework extravaganza concludes the performance
In Queen Victoria Park along the Niagara Parkway
- Canadian - American Flag display (worlds largest)
- Niagara's Iconic Skylon Tower
- Two-story high Zimmerman Fountain
- Religions of the World Displays
- Hand Painted Lantern Displays
- Tunnel of Wish Lanterns from the award-winning Jinju Namgang Yudeung FEstival of South Korea
- Free event
- donations will be accepted on site
- donations for Project Share accepted on site
Is there seating available?
Yes the park is fully accessible and seating arrangments can be made for those in wheelchairs
What should I bring?
Bring your family and friends, your camera, warm clothing. Please no outside food or drinks - these are not allowed on site.
Are there washrooms available?
yes there are 2 options for washroom facilities - those located on-stie and those located at the River's Edge Restaurant, which is located on the south side (across Murray Street) off of Queen Victoria Park.